Dear Mike

Another good question -- compelled?  To a certain extent, yes, but not

In the case of Rumi and Sufis, the Beloved (Absolute)is longed for like a
lover, and this longing is the love and the lover . . . it is a perfect

Of course you find this in Everyday Zen, right, or even in Bill's insistence
that all this is just 'sitting', -- nothing special.  It is a way of bringing
the Absolute right down into the mundane expression of the contingent -- Maya,
Delusion, Dunya . . .

Rumi sees our origins as endlessness that has been darkened by our faulty
conditioning -- in short we are eternity . . . he often uses the absence of the
Beloved (not realizing)to remind the lover . . . and to take the elixir, the
wine, and become intoxicated with eternity (Allah, Absolute, Al Dhat, Void,
God, etc)

Of course, he was a Poet, so you have to enter into the framework through the
eyes of a metaphysical poet.

best wishes