And here I was going to say that Zen has a tradition of having people figure
stuff out for themselves. People have always worshipped in groups and probably
always will. I attend a Christian church and practice zazen. I don't run into
trouble in either camp. I will say that as I become less interested in my own
thoughts, I find it increasingly implausible that God, however experienced or
known, would care about my thoughts either.  My church is pretty liberal and is
based on a tradition of communal worship more individual professions of faith,
so we probably have people with all sorts of divergent beliefs, but have never
made our human thoughts the focus (except for typical petty squabbles about
what songs to sing and when to stand and when to kneel etc.).

Zen can be understood and practiced solely as an activity in which one is
trained, not as a metaphysical belief system.

I have to say that

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone