> Zen can be understood and practiced solely as an activity in which one
is trained, not as a metaphysical belief system.

Hi All,

Chris Austen-Lane wrote: "Zen can be understood and practiced solely as
an activity in which one is trained, not as a metaphysical belief
system."

"Zen is a worldview, a psychology and a restructuring of the brain, with
which one experiences one's own mind and the external world with
equanimity, intelligence, confidence and compassion."

Of course the statement immediately above is 'wrong'.

Please give us your best shot at a definition of zen or Zen.

Thanks, ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, ChrisAustinLane <ch...@...> wrote:

> And here I was going to say that Zen has a tradition of having people
figure stuff out for themselves. People have always worshipped in groups
and probably always will. I attend a Christian church and practice
zazen. I don't run into trouble in either camp. I will say that as I
become less interested in my own thoughts, I find it increasingly
implausible that God, however experienced or known, would care about my
thoughts either. My church is pretty liberal and is based on a tradition
of communal worship more individual professions of faith, so we probably
have people with all sorts of divergent beliefs, but have never made our
human thoughts the focus (except for typical petty squabbles about what
songs to sing and when to stand and when to kneel etc.).