From: DP <wookielife...@yahoo.ca>
Subject: [Zen] Can I practise Zen and still believe in God?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 16 September, 2010, 11:16 AM

I have reconciled Zen and my Christian practise, if not beliefs - there seems
to be little contrary to Zen in practising compassion towards others and
showing mercy, which to me are the core of Jesus's teachings. Believing in God
might be another thing, however. From what I understand, Buddhism and Zen do
not deny the existence of God(s) but stress their non-importance to
enlightenment. As long as I do not cling to an image of God (which the
Abrahamic religions actually warn against in their admonition of idolatry) can
I still be open to the presence of some intelligence to the universe? Or is
that un-Zen?