It is not true that Buddhists, much less zenists, 'believe in' God or Gods.
Many of them believe that 'gods' exist, but don't rule.

--- On Fri, 17/9/10, Kristy McClain <> wrote:

From: Kristy McClain <>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Can I practise Zen and still believe in God?
Date: Friday, 17 September, 2010, 2:23 AM

*bows* to Edgar / all,
I've been away for a coupla days, and am 133 messages behind, so my brief
comments  on this may be out of  place, but here is my thought as I read this...
Perhaps it doesn't matter  whether  there is, or isn't a "God", or some
super-natural "Force".  In the end, it is the insistent debate humans continue
to wage.  This belief and psychology is what, I think,  will ultimately bring
about the final destruction of life on this earth. Probably doesn't matter what
my karma is, or what deeds I have done, because the world leaders will
ultimately direct the actions as a result of their own beliefs and theology ,
(or lack of same),  to thus cause the final showdown predicted in the end
chapter of sacred texts of varying religions.
"We", (hunan), bring about our own unhappiness and  destruction, beause, in my
view, there seems to be a desperate need to be right, to find security in a
heavenly parent to protect us, and find comfort in our need for  certainty .
Its  a paradox. The ultimate oxymoron to me.
What can be done about humanity planning their own destruction? What is so
wrong about agreeing to disagree.  Even your statement here, Edgar,  is
completely  disavowed this  week by Robert Thurman, in his radio show, as he
indeed insists that there has always been a belief in several Gods by
Buddhists, including Z/zen-ists. He goes on to say that anyone who  states
otherwise is a distortion of the actual history. *sigh*
I have always been a pretty critical person as the daughter of a very critical
parent.  But in my old age, I'm learning that there is no such thing as the
truth or even a fact.  Its simply one's perception of it.