Hello ED-

I very much agree.

And why I said to Edgar:
> I agree with you- but/and:
Sometimes (not always of course) a belief in "god" can actually push a person
further (like wind in a sail) on the path in unusual and surprising ways ;-)
Much depends on the person, of course.

And why I said to you:
> I pay very little attention to "cultural media"- I rarely watch television,
> read magazines or newspapers, listen to commercial radio, etc. I have no
> interest whatsoever in what my culture tells me I "should think about
> reality". Or how the culture defines reality. This is why, as I said in an
> earlier post, I have no interest
in religion or "spiritual movements". To me, what all these things are, are
someone else's (or the entire culture's) ideas about reality - to me they most
emphatically ARE NOT reality itself.

Now, I will add that I very much agree with R.H. Blyth (an English zennist and
philosopher, 1898-1964) in that:
"My zen is not your zen, a man's zen is not a woman's zen, etc. It is the same,
yes, but it is different. We must be on our guard against the absolute. We must
respect the individual."

I also agree with Jung that:
"By it's very nature, there can be no collective solutions to individual
problems."

To me, this is one of the "great truths" that almost no one is ever willing to
believe, much less practice: Each of us must find her/his own way. Those of us
who do know and practice this can maybe hold the lamp for others who are
seeking, we can make suggestions, we can share our own experiences, and we can
certainly offer companionship and fellowship to others. But we cannot know what
is right for someone else, ever.

Yes, it can be a very slow process, finding one's individual path. But if we
listen to those who know and practice this, we hear over and over again that it
is the most rewarding, empowering, and freeing thing they have ever done, that
the whole process is a wonderful reward in itself.

Artie :-)