From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 19 September, 2010 22:28:18
Subject: [Zen] Re: Sharing religions

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "audreydc1983" <audreydc1...@...> wrote:

> Yep, I agree with you - the situation in Australia is a whole different
>(although somewhat similar) can of worms.
> But - honestly - couldn't John Howard have just issued a statement to the
>Aboriginal people acknowledging the "mistakes" of the past? If I were
>Australian, I would BALK at him "apologizing" for me, or white people in
>general
>for what happened then.
Anyone can "apologize" for anyone to anyone if one interprets "apologize" to
mean that one is aware of and feels compassion (or wants to develop empathy and
caring) for all those native peoples who were killed off, robbed of their
lands,
enslaved and degraded.
In inter-group relations usually one does not *feel* much compassion for
persons
outside one's national, racial, ethnic, religious, genetic, friendship or
kinship group.

> The sad truth is that the Aboriginals (like the Native Americans, and
> countless
>other peoples) were overcome by force: better technology and firepower. That
>can't be changed - especially by a "sorry" from one white politician.
The "sorry" means that we recognize and empathize with the pain and suffering
of
all humans - and that can help establish our connection with all humans.

> I asked myself, about a year ago, WHY our ancestors had better technology
> (and
>therefore an advantage in conquering less developed nations)in the first place
>-
>and with luck, I stumbled upon this book, called 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' in
>my
>local library:
> http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393317552

> It's a fascinating read. We already know the "how" of it happening, but
> here's
>an interesting theory as to the "why" of it all.
>
> It's good chatting with you all! ~Aud
I think it attempts to underscore the 'how'; the 'why' lies in human motivation
and intentions. As Buddhism reminds us, all that we think, feel and do is
driven
by our motivations and intentions, conscious and unconscious. Guns and steel
are
quite harmless without the human tribal tendency to profit at the expense of
those outside one's group.
It's good chatting with you too, Aud.  ~ED