On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:47 AM, ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My POV, which I believe to be the Buddha's perspective, is that
> 'conditions' may help or hinder, but compassionate or harmful behaviors have
> their origins in intentions and motivations in the human mind.

My take is that conditions and the mind aren't two.   Clearly, at each
moment we may go along with what life needs or we may try to grab onto
something for security, and acting against our minds nature will have
effects.  But

> The Darwinian perspective asserts that humans and human groups seek to
> enhance their own survivability and prosperity - at the expense of other
> persons and groups if necessary.

Darwin asserted that species arise by the gradual increase variation from
random variations of inheritable traits being differently selected for by
differing rates of reproductive success.  Turning that into an equation
about how power and social interactions should be arranged seems like
excessive thoughts taking their toll on our clarity of mind.  Certainly
Darwin didn't cause this preference of humanity for violence and excitement.

If you are interested in genocides, Jared Diamond has a whole chapter on the
various numbers of genocides throughout modern history, and an interesting
chapter on a rather bloody band of non-human primates.  I personally feel
rather ashamed of our record on that score, but I know we are fascinated by
violence as a group.

--Chris