> Edgar,
>
> As usual I agree with some of what you say but not all.
>
> The part I agree with is that zen is not anti anything. I say if
anything it's anti-attachments. I myself winced when I sent the post
affirming that zen is anti-intellectual. It's not.

Bill,

I would say zen is not anti-anything. Buddhism mere states that
attacments can cause suffering.

> The part I disagree with you is about the role of intelligence in zen.
Intelligence is not necessary to realize Buddha Mind, only sensory
experience.

Very possiby, provided realizing Buddha Mind is one's sole goal in life.

> Intelligence (rationality) like all illusions can be benign. The
important thing is to discard your attachment to intelligence or any
other illusion. Intelligence can be used, as you have said, to help
orient you in the beginning - but it is not necessary. You can gain
information about most anything with your intelligence â€" like
reading books or even listening to others talk.

How does one recognize an illusion?

--ED

> Intelligence can be used to learn to swim or ride a bike. You can get
a general idea of what it is you are supposed to do, but to actually
swim you have to get into the water or onto the bike and throw the book
away. What you have learned using your intelligence might help you then,
or it might hinder you. These are functions your body has to learn, not
your rational mind.