Some 35 years ago I had been to one *similar* such ten-day retreat with
Joseph Goldstein, Jack Kornfeld and Susan Salzberg.

What's known about the long-term beneficial effects on a practitioner
from a large number of such retreats?

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <uerusub...@...> wrote:
Mayka,   A big smile to you, too. Actually, I was the only westerner
there but given that we couldn't communicate with each other I guess it
didn't matter much. The thing with the sitting arrangements - it doesn't
matter how you sit. After an hour of sitting in *any* position (without
moving) the pain becomes unbearable. In the end you give up trying to
get comfortable and just accept the fact that the pain is going to come
eventually no matter what you do.    Ah yes, I know exactly what you
mean about listening to the sounds of the night on a long retreat. I
remember seeing some fire-flies (the retreat in Kyoto is deep into a
forest) and watching them dance around for what seemed like hours. Even
a breeze on the skin feels like a drink of ice-cold beer on a hot
summers night. The senses are tuned-in in a way that can't be
experienced ordinarily. If everyone would go on a retreat, I'm sure that
many of the world's problems would be sorted out overnight.   Mike