Jody:

Please mind that my say here is limited to the TNH tradition which is the one
I'm more familiar with.  The bell is a very important tool in the TNH tradition
and the person who ring the bell would have need to have been trained in the
ringing of the bell. Differently the sound would be unpleasant to hearing and
far from being a sound bringing to the meditator back to his or her true home
or buddha nature.   I'm not completely sure if the number of the rings for
meditation is important.  It all depends upon who leads the meditation.
However, while learning the basics ropes and before one gains that confidence
with the bell,  there is the  initial called "awakening of the bell"  which is
made soft and with the Japanese ringer stick beaten in a kind of deaf sound
touching the top border of the bell , followed by three rings of the bell.  The
ring of the bells are beaten in a different way that the initiall awakening of
the bell. The one
 who rings the bell should leave an space time counted with his/her own three
in and out breathing in awareness.  The one who ring the bell should always
awake the bell before ringing at its complete sound.  If the three rings follow
one after the other, then the awakening of the bell is only the first initial
one.

If there is something you can't understand, please ask.  Though..  I'm afraid I
can't explain in detail the way the bell is sounded as it requires to be a face
to face being seeing to show how the stick is hold, where it rests, the areas
that it touches in the bell...

Thank you for your question
Mayka