Mayka,

What you said below made me realised that I've brushed aside anything that has
got to do with rituals and traditions while I'm reading below two books.
Perhaps not a wise thing to do?

I first came to know meditation through the Mahasi tradition. Later I attended
retreats that are based on Buddhist vipassana meditation with J.Krishnamurti's
approach (that's how they describe the approach). There are controversies on
this approach, but I find it quite suitable for me. The meditation instruction
is only to be aware of what is at each moment, which can be anything, but I
find it mostly to be merely thoughts (perhaps what this forum refers to as
"illusions").

When I learned that in Zen, the advice is also to just sit. This sounds very
similar to me.

This Vipassana approach, as it is with Krishnamurti, 'refuses' teacher-student
relationship so that we don't attach to anything that any teacher says or tells
us. Instead, we are to see with ourselves. As the book says, Zen mind is a
beginner's mind. Anything pre-conceived hinders our practice. I just realised
I'm that much conditioned to this that I thought there shouldn't be any teacher
needed in Zen either :-)

thanks for this discussions!

> If you like to waste your time then no bother to look for a Teacher because a
> Teacher won't let you to waste it.

Or maybe I'd look for one who'd tell me to waste it ;-)

siska