When I read a lot of Zen Enlightenment stuff, I find my sitting is then filled
up with what i label Zen thoughts - thoughts that attempt to portray themselves
as wisdom or as "good Zen experiences."

I personally find those to be even more obscuring than the non-Zen thoughts
about various imagined harms that others have prepared for me, so I generally
take their appearance to be a signal to read less and sit more.

I haven't ever tried a month of no reading (tho I am scrupulous to not bring
books on a sesshin), and in fact the enlightenment story in the Three Pillars
of Zen where this (childless) couple went on a word fast leaves a continuing
sense of horror in me. In the midst of confusion and chaos, that's it for me.

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone