> I have seen compassion in people living in the streets towards other
companions living in the streets too.

Yes, true the world-over: The poor tend to share the little they have
with their fellow humans who are worse off than themselves.

The underlying principle is: Humans feel compassion for humans in
similar circumstances, as it is easier for them to experience and
empathize with their sufferings.

> Some of these people are very tough and yet  beneath that apparent
hardness, there is compassion.

There is compassion, and there is also the insurance motive.

> The fact of not knowing or being aware of what is going on in one
doesn't mean that compassion is illusory.

Compassion is a label for a spiritual trait, or it is a label for a
natural and normal evolved human trait, no different than the capacity
for fear or anger are natural and normal evolved traits that aid in the
Darwinian struggle for survival and well-being.

> Compassion ... [is] very real to any human being.
> Mayka

Yes, very human and very necessary for survival in the within-group
situation (but not necessarily in the between-groups situation.)

The reason is simple: In any community, which human would trust, want to
work with, or be the significant other of a human being without
compassion?

Not any person in his/her right senses, I would say.

Therefore, compassion in the within-group situation has evolved in
humans because of its survival, well-being and propagation value.