"Finnish is the eponymous member of the Finno-Ugric language family
</wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages>  and is typologically
</wiki/Morphological_typology>  between fusional
</wiki/Fusional_language>  and agglutinative languages
</wiki/Agglutinative_language> . It modifies and inflects
</wiki/Inflection>  the forms of nouns </wiki/Noun> , adjectives
</wiki/Adjective> , pronouns </wiki/Pronoun> , numerals
</wiki/Number_names>  and verbs </wiki/Verb> , depending on their roles
in the sentence </wiki/Sentence_(linguistics)> .

Finnish is a member of the Baltic-Finnic </wiki/Baltic-Finnic_languages>
subgroup of the Finno-Ugric </wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages>  group of
languages which in turn is a member of the Uralic
</wiki/Uralic_languages>  family of languages. The Baltic-Finnic
subgroup also includes Estonian </wiki/Estonian_language>  and other
minority languages spoken around the Baltic Sea </wiki/Baltic_Sea> .

The Finns are more genetically similar to their Indo-European
</wiki/Indo-European>  speaking neighbors than to the speakers of the
geographically close Finno-Ugric language, Sami </wiki/Sami_language> .
It has been argued that a native Finnic-speaking population therefore
absorbed northward migrating Indo-European speakers who adopted the
Finnic language, giving rise to the modern Finns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_language
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_language>

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Lluís Mendieta <lme...@...> wrote:

Hi, Bill   I beg to differ in two non zen questions -Hungry? has the
subject implicit. You do not place it, but it is implied.  The werb in
spanish or catalan would be also implicit, so, I suppose same in
english.   -finnish is a westerner language. And they have a lot of
words to design the relationship within family.   With best wishes
Lluís

Anthony,

I know Thai's drop subject and sometimes even object all the time,
but I
thought it was just because they, like Westerners, are lazy.

For example, I could ask you: `Are you hungry?', or I could just
ask by
saying: `Hungry?' (with a rising tone). That's just laziness, or
being
casual in your speech.

I do think language does reveal the different values of culture. For
example in Thai there are only 3 tenses: past, present and future;
whereas
there are many, many adjectives and pronouns that are used to
specifically
identify the speaker's relationship with the one addressed. In English
there are many (27?) verb tenses and very few special pronouns. This I
think shows that Westerner's value time more than Asians; whereas Asians
put
more importance on personal relationships than time.

...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=X8--4tkr-g3PsNMRxPccnApen5FO-MEJl2zYq27FXE\
tBi6NK1U_NY3HGk9KLUI7hGeAi3xLYZG7hMyIKW-Xpt_q_r3M>
[mailto:Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=oPCWEq6Gts2cXfudUTUbON52_VYtF-pP5Pg3OOsgPb\
ADIJPYhQEPh76RLtkINNFbJwV6DQr7U4rRYk7qWAgg22UZYw> ] On Behalf