From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 14 November, 2010, 2:56 AM

"Finnish is the eponymous member of the Finno-Ugric language family and is
typologically between fusional and agglutinative languages. It modifies and
inflects the forms of nouns, adjectives, pronouns, numerals and verbs,
depending on their roles in the sentence.
Finnish is a member of the Baltic-Finnic subgroup of the Finno-Ugric group of
languages which in turn is a member of the Uralic family of languages. The
Baltic-Finnic subgroup also includes Estonian and other minority languages
spoken around the Baltic Sea.
The Finns are more genetically similar to their Indo-European speaking
neighbors than to the speakers of the geographically close Finno-Ugric
language, Sami. It has been argued that a native Finnic-speaking population
therefore absorbed northward migrating Indo-European speakers who adopted the
Finnic language, giving rise to the modern Finns."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_language

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Lluís Mendieta <lme...@...> wrote:

Hi, Bill

I beg to differ in two non zen questions
-Hungry? has the subject implicit. You do not place it, but it is implied.
 The werb in spanish or catalan would be also implicit, so, I suppose same in
english.

-finnish is a westerner language. And they have a lot of words to design the
relationship within family.

With best wishes

Lluís

Anthony,

I know Thai's drop subject and sometimes even object all the time, but I
thought it was just because they, like Westerners, are lazy.

For example, I could ask you: `Are you hungry?', or I could just ask by
saying: `Hungry?' (with a rising tone). That's just laziness, or being
casual in your speech.

I do think language does reveal the different values of culture. For
example in Thai there are only 3 tenses: past, present and future; whereas
there are many, many adjectives and pronouns that are used to specifically
identify the speaker's relationship with the one addressed. In English
there are many (27?) verb tenses and very few special pronouns. This I
think shows that Westerner's value time more than Asians; whereas Asians put
more importance on personal relationships than time.

...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf