From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 14 November, 2010, 11:37 AM

      Anthony,  Actually Thai does not really have three tenses as I said, not
in the same way as English or Spanish has.  They only have one form of a verb –
Present tense.  They use modifiers to designate other tenses, but only two
other tenses I know of – Past and Future.  An example would be the
transliteration of the Thai word for ‘go’ is ‘bai’ (pronounced like ‘bye’).
So:  ‘go’ would be ‘bai’‘gone’ or ‘have gone’ would be ‘bai laow’ (like ‘go
already’)‘will go’ would be ‘ja bai’  That’s it.  As far as I know there is no
way to translate something like ‘By next Tuesday I will have been going to
class for 5 weeks’.  Thai’s also have 5 tones: high, medium, low, rising and
falling.  These tones could be applied to any word (syllable) such as ‘mai’.
The syllable ‘mai’, depending on the tone used, could mean: ‘new’, ‘wood’,
‘no’, ‘burn’ or denote a question if
 placed at the end of a statement (with a rising tone).  So the question ‘New
word doesn’t burn, does it?’ could be expressed using only the syllable ‘mai’
with different tones like this: ‘wood new no burn [question]’.  How would you
say that in Finnish?  …Bill!  From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com