Ed,

I received zen training at ZCLA beginning right after its opening in 1967.
My first teacher there was Koryu Roshi, a lay Rinzai Zen Master.  His Dharma
successor was Maezumi Roshi.  I began my koan study under Koryu Roshi and
continued it under Maezumi Roshi when Koryu Roshi returned to Japan because
of his age and health.  I believe he was over 80 at that time.  He was the
Dharma successor of a Japanese Zen Master named Joko Roshi (not to be
confused with Charlotte Joko Beck).  He was also a Japanese lay teacher in
the Rinzai line and did not ordain his successors.  Koyru Roshi did not
offer ordination either.  He definitely stressed lay practice.

The total period of which I was directly associated with ZCLA was about 10
years, but about half was with Koryu Roshi and half with Maezumi Roshi - not
10 years with Maezumi.

The only two Dharma successors I really knew well were Tetsugen (Bernie as I
called him) who I still keep in touch with, and Gempo (who we all called
Gempo).  I am less familiar with Joko since by the time she was studying
with Maezumi I had moved to Oregon and only attended sesshins 2 or 3 times a
year.  During that period I did keep in very close contact with Maezumi and
in fact hosted him in my home in Oregon during a visit he made there to
attend a function at the University of Oregon.

While I was studying under Maezumi he did not display any ‘idiosyncrasies’
that I felt detracted from my training.  I certainly know what you are
referring to, but none of his personal issues ever affected me - to my
knowledge.

As you probably know Tetsugen and Gempo turned out very differently.
Tetusgen has given up his title of roshi and teaches now as a lay teacher.
Gempo has retained his title of roshi, but has developed his own training
program (Big Mind) which include Western psychological techniques.

Both of them, however, certainly did not turn out to be fundamentalist Zen
Buddhist teachers.

…Bill!