Ed and Kristy,

First of all I do want to echo Kristy’s first point which she phrased as a
question.  I too would much rather ED (or anyone who posts) tell us your
opinion on something.  Second best (but still acceptable) is for you to first
express your opinion and then back it up with a reference to someone else.  I
think the worst case is when you just post a URL to someone else’s opinion.
You may think this is a way to pass information in a neutral manner, but it is
second-hand information, and information on which there can be no interactive
discussion with the originator of the opinion.

Usually I don’t even go to links if there it is not there to support something
else in the post; but I did go to this one and looked at about the first 2
minutes of the video.

So secondly I must adamantly disagree with Genpo on the dynamics of a zen
teacher-student relationship.  He described it as a necessarily hierarchical
relationship: the teacher (roshi) higher than the student.  He used an example
a water system were the Dharma was the water, the roshi was the faucet and the
student was an empty cup.  The dynamics of the relationship were that the
Dharma necessarily flowed through the teacher to the student.  This is
absolutely incorrect.

The dynamics and relationships are not hierarchical, they are horizontal or
parallel.  Using the water system analogy, BOTH the teacher and the student
comprise the complete water system.  The are both the water source, the pipes
and the faucet.  Presumably the teacher has experience in turning on the faucet
and accessing the water, and the student does not.  The teacher can only
demonstrate how he/she accesses the water and make some suggestions.  The
student must learn how to turn on the faucet for himself.

The point is that Dharma does not flow THROUGH the teacher to the student.  If
that’s the relationship Genpo believes is necessary and that he demands, then
he has strayed very far from the teachings of Maezumi Roshi.

I will direct you to a link which will fully support my position on this.  To
access the link you only need to sit quietly and count your breathes.

…Bill!