Dr James Austin in his book 'Zen-Brain Reflection', labels the states
that occur after the makyo states but prior to kensho-satori states as
absorption or Samadhi states, and asserts that these are not
kensho-satori states.

These Samadhi states as decribed by Dr Austin appear to be none other
than the states labeled in Theravada buddhism  as Jhana states.

See article below on Jhana states.

Definitions of jhana in theravada on the Web:
    * Jhāna (Pāli: झन; Sanskrit: ध्यान
Dhyāna) is a meditative state of profound stillness and
concentration. It is sometimes taught as an abiding in which the mind
becomes fully immersed and absorbed in the chosen object of
attention,characterized by non-dual consciousness. ...

Excerpt from:

"Dhyāna in the early sutras

In the early texts, it is taught as a state of collected, full-body
awareness in which mind becomes very powerful and still but not frozen,
and is thus able to observe and gain insight into the changing flow of
experience.[1] <#cite_note-ReferenceA-0> [2] <#cite_note-1>  Later
Theravada literature, in particular the Visuddhimagga
</wiki/Visuddhimagga> , describes it as an abiding in which the mind
becomes fully immersed and absorbed in the chosen object of
attention,[3] <#cite_note-2>  characterized by non-dual
consciousness.[4] <#cite_note-3>

The Buddha himself entered jhāna, as described in the early texts,
during his own quest for enlightenment, and is constantly seen in the
suttas </wiki/Sutta_Pitaka>  encouraging his disciples to develop
jhāna as a way of achieving awakening and liberation.[5]
<#cite_note-4> [6] <#cite_note-5> [7] <#cite_note-6>

One key innovative teaching of the Buddha was that meditative absorption
</wiki/Jhana>  must be combined with liberating cognition.[8]

Just before his passing away, The Buddha entered the jhānas in
direct and reverse order, and the passing away itself took place after
rising from the fourth jhāna.[9] <#cite_note-8>

The Buddha's most well-known instructions on attaining jhana are via
mindfulness of breathing </wiki/Anapanasati> , found in the
Ānāpānasati Sutta </wiki/Anapanasati_Sutta>  and

For definitions of Samadhi, see:

  --- In, <billsm...@...> wrote:
> Siska,
> In your post below what you refer to as the “…un-enlightened
mind…” is what I usually call the ‘discriminating
mind’ or ‘rational mind’ or ‘dualistic
mind’. And yes, koans cannot be resolved by using this mind. They
can only be resolved/responded to from Buddha Mind which is what remains
after the discriminating mind drops away.
> Conventionally you should say that it takes a really accomplished
teacher and a good student to properly use this technique; but a neither
a teacher nor koan study is absolutely necessary to realize Buddha
Nature or experience Samadhi (which are pretty much the same thing). All
you really need to do is sit (zazen) and quiet your mind (cease the
workings of your discriminating mind). A good teacher and koan study can
certainly help do this, but as I said are not absolutely necessary.