In one way or another, in effect, babies are almost entirely focused on
me-me-me, that is they are continually looking for food and a
comfortable environment, with no regard for anything or anyone else.

This 'selfishness' has nothing to do with any carry-over from previous
lives.

Babies have evolved to be this way because such behavior enhances their
chances of survival in the Darwinian struggle of life.

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
J-xfqPPUBb4xu_obOa8gfzS_GtzhadfQsSaexQUklkWL1nAZhSNpeaEYNIurbD6a7KQE8> ,
Chris wrote:

Babies do not split life into self and other.
Also they do not get distracted by abstract worries. They are fully
present in the moment. They are not much concerned with stuff outside of
their own internal needs, but that is appropriate.

Thanks,  Chris Austin-Lane
Lana,

The way in which babies normally and naturally behave is to be obsessed
with 'I/me/mine' (it's ego), with no regard whatsoever for the needs of
its mother or anyone else - and without which attitude it would not
survive.

In short, if babies had no egos, the only babies who survived for more
than a few days would be 'buddhas' - and the population of human buddhas
on this earth would be nil.

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=6V7BTNP_2B4YJ8ciudmJ-xfqPPUBb4xu_obOa8gfzS\
_GtzhadfQsSaexQUklkWL1nAZhSNpeaEYNIurbD6a7KQE8> , "Lana M. Gibbons"