3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livlihood

6. Right Effort

Mental Development

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

===================

A Buddhist understanding of 'right' in the Noble Eightfold Path is to be
found in:

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html
<http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html>

1. Right View <#Right_View>  Wisdom  2. Right Intention
<#Right_Intention>   3. Right Speech <#Right_Speech>  Ethical Conduct
4. Right Action <#Right_Action>   5. Right Livelihood
<#Right_Livelihood>   6. Right Effort <#Right_Effort>  Mental
Development  7. Right Mindfulness <#Right_Mindfulness>   8. Right
Concentration <#Right_Concentration> ===================

Apparently, Samurai warriors learned zen (Mental Development  or
Meditation) from Zen monks, but their motivation and ethics, and their
understanding of 'right' were different. See:
http://zen.thetao.info/read/samurai.htm
<http://zen.thetao.info/read/samurai.htm>

> [ED] Bill, from whom did you first learn of the existence of two
separate
> entities, 'zen' and 'Zen' (Zen Buddhism)?

> [Bill!] I discovered that myself, although I might have received a
hint of
> this from my first teacher (Koryu Roshi) was a lay roshi from the
Japanese
> Zen Buddhist Rinzai tradition who deemphasized the importance of
taking
> vows.

> There are also a lot of references in traditional zen literature that
> could be interpreted to support this: 'If you meet the Buddha on the
road,
> kill him', tales of Buddhist scholars that burned their books after
becoming
> enlightened, the constant use of everyday objects and activities
rather than
> religious objects and activities by ancient zen masters when asked
about
> Buddha Mind.

> Now of course I probably read into those what I want to hear
> to support my belief. I also have a belief that the experience of
Buddha
> Mind is THE basic religious experience as described by most all
religions -
> especially Christianity with which I am most familiar.

> If this experience
> is universal then it is not exclusively Buddhist. I think it is
universal
> and it is just expressed in different cultures and societies using the
> language they have available. This is why I say Zen Buddhism is a
Buddhist
> expression of zen.

> [ED]Are the centres established by Maezumi, Shunryu Suzuki, Joshu
Sazaki and
> other Japanese Teachers 'zen' centers or 'Zen Buddhist' centers?

> [Bill!] The Zen Center of Los Angeles (ZCLA) established by Maezumi
Roshi