Anthony,

What 'soul'?   Buddha declare that anatta (no 'soul') is a
characteristic of all phenomena.

--ED

Note1:

The three signs of being are in essence of the three characteristics of
all phenomena or, the ability to see things as they really are.

Change

Impermanence. Everything is always changing, wether physical, mental or
emotional. Nothing stays the same so real stability is an illusion and
even relative stability is at best a tenporary state of balance. Our
thoughts, moods and bodies are born, gain strength, then deteriorate and
cease to be.

Suffering

Suffering is also known as unsatisfactoriness. These are feelings of
insecurity and frustration that arise from attachment. As nothing last
indefinitely many things are taken away from us before we can fully
enjoy them. Individuals want security, satisfaction and happiness, but
we are always trying to grasp it as it is just out of reach.

No – I

Buddha denied the soul. Furthermore, there is no permanent essence in
anything, including ourselves. We spend much time and energy defending a
non-existent – I, Me, or Mine. This is the central delusion in
Buddhism, one that Buddha saw through on his enlightenment.

"Suffering I teach and the way out of suffering" – The
Buddha.

http://mubss.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/the-three-signs-of-being/
<http://mubss.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/the-three-signs-of-being/>

> ED,
> I listened 10 minutes. Up to that point, it has been very
materialistic, and as Mike say, left out the 'soul'. It is very
scientific, and not for one with a view of anti-science. We have a long
way to go to complete the journey of science. Or will it be 'completed'
at all?

> Anthony

> ED,
>
> Very interesting video on many different levels - the penny dropped a
number of times re my own thoughts and experiences. I was surprised he
left out the 'long dark night of the soul' in his presentation tho.

> Thanks,
> Mike

> Recommendation:
> Listen to five minutes of the 100 minute video below and then make
your own choices.Â
> --ED
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5474604744218568426
<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5474604744218568426> #
> Enlightenment, Self, and the Brain. How the brain changes with final
liberation

> 1:39:08 - 2 years ago
> Neurotheology 3 - What happens in the brain when a person attains
enlightenment? This talk offers an hypothesis. Using concepts in
neurotheology developed by Michael A. Persinger (inventor of the God
Helmet), Todd Murphy (inventor of the 8 Coil Shakti neural stimulation
system) explores the brain's role in enlightenemnt as understood in
Buddhism. The talk also looks at the self (or sense of self), and how
it's place as a brain function allows it to be flexible enough to change
as a person becomes enlightened. It examines a few case histories,
including those of Ramana Maharishi, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, The Buddha,
and some others.