You can replace the word 'soul' with 'thought', 'mind' or whatever you think is
not, or the opposit of 'matter'.

--- On Sun, 5/12/10, ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Enlightenment, Self, and the Brain
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 5 December, 2010, 10:38 PM

What 'soul'?   Buddha declare that anatta (no 'soul') is a characteristic of
all phenomena.

The three signs of being are in essence of the three characteristics of all
phenomena or, the ability to see things as they really are.
Impermanence. Everything is always changing, wether physical, mental or
emotional. Nothing stays the same so real stability is an illusion and even
relative stability is at best a tenporary state of balance. Our thoughts, moods
and bodies are born, gain strength, then deteriorate and cease to be.
Suffering is also known as unsatisfactoriness. These are feelings of insecurity
and frustration that arise from attachment. As nothing last indefinitely many
things are taken away from us before we can fully enjoy them. Individuals want
security, satisfaction and happiness, but we are always trying to grasp it as
it is just out of reach.
No – I
Buddha denied the soul. Furthermore, there is no permanent essence in anything,
including ourselves. We spend much time and energy defending a non-existent –
I, Me, or Mine. This is the central delusion in Buddhism, one that Buddha saw
through on his enlightenment.
"Suffering I teach and the way out of suffering" – The Buddha.