Ed,

I normally don't use the term 'samadhi', but in the post below I meant
'shikantaza' - the state where there is a dissolution of self.

...Bill!

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of ED
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:28 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen and the Martial Arts

Bill, 'Samadhi' has several meanings; in which sense do you use use
'samadhi'?  --ED

> This is Beijing Bill.
>
> While in samadhi there are no events.
There is only now. An event is a description of a slice of time that has a
beginning and ending. You MIGHT say you focus on now, but focus is not quite
the right word. At least for me focus denotes an effort or intent. There is
'just now' without focus. You might have to focus to get to that point, but
when you get to that point focus and self and events all dissolve away.

> ...Bill!
Yes,

> ED,
>
> You say, "focuses it like a laser beam on any and all events or a chosen
subset of events in the here and now, to achieve specified objectives."

> In my understanding, zen's mindfulness does not focus on any 'events'. I
would like to hear from Bill about this.

> Anthony

> The essence of the contribution of Zen to the martial arts is to be found
in:
> 7. Right Concentration
> 8. Right Mindfulness.
> Concentration and Mindfulness are secular activities, and yes, the
Concentration is a pre-requisite for the development of Mindfulnes; that is,
in the moment the mind takes the already-developed Concentration and focuses
it like a laser beam on any and all events or a chosen subset of events in
the here and now, to achieve specified objectives. This capability is
especially effective in the martial arts and in business strategizing.

database 5674 (20101204) __________

database 5674 (20101204) __________