From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Zen and the Martial Arts
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 8 December, 2010, 12:56 AM

Bill,
The 'dissolution of self, is not mentioned in the reference below, athough it
is reasonable to believe that mostly Shikantaza will eventually lead to some
sort of a 'dissolution of self'. 'dissolution of self'.
---ED

"Shikantaza is a Japanese term for zazen introduced by Rujing and associated
most with the Soto school of Zen Buddhism, but which also is "the base of all
Zen disciplines."
According to Dogen Zenji, shikantaza i.e. resting in a state of brightly alert
attention that is free of thoughts, directed to no object, and attached to no
particular content—is the highest or purest form of zazen, zazen as it was
practiced by all the buddhas of the past.
The modern Japanese Zen master, Hakuun Ryôko Yasutani says: "Shikantaza is the
mind of someone facing death. Let us imagine that you are engaged in a duel of
swordsmanship of the kind that used to take place in ancient Japan.
As you face your opponent you are unceasingly watchful, set, ready. Were you to
relax your vigilance even momentarily, you would be cut down instantly. A crowd
gathers to see the fight. Since you are not blind you see them from the corner
of your eye, and since you are not deaf you hear them. But not for an instant
is your mind captured by these impressions." (Introductory Lectures on Zen
Training, Kapleau)
The term is believed to have been first used by Dôgen's teacher Tiantong
Rujing, and it literally means, "nothing but (shikan) precisely (da) sitting
(za)." In other words Dôgen means by this, "doing only zazen whole-heartedly"
or "single-minded sitting."
Shikantaza implies "just sitting", and according to author James Ishmael Ford,
"Some trace the root of this word to the pronunciation of the Pali vipassana,
though this is far from certain.""

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza