Hello Mel,

In the martial arts (and in sports), which type of meditation is more
common

(1)  Awareness meditation (vipassana or shikantaza or something else)

(2) Concentration meditation (samatha or somethhing else) ?

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "gunnar19632000" <gunnar19632...@...>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> I don't know about anybody else here, but I'd just like to say that
meditation in silence and the practise of a martial art(any one) go
quite well together. With my health issues, I'm not really able to
attend regular karate classes anymore but I do continue to practise on
my own with kihon and kata

> I consider (Shotokan) karate to be most apt when it comes to following
a 'zenful' life, so to speak. Direct and straight to the point, and
perhaps with some similarities in principle to the WingChun style.To me,
Zen is about directness and practicality whilst avoiding unecessary
complications. I avoid getting too wordy or mystical when it comes to my
own words on Zen itself, and how it relates to anything outside of the
meditation hall, or temple. Like the late Shunryu Suzuki, I consider Zen
as something that has to relate to everyday life itself. I don't find it
hard in picking any everyday situation where some of that Zen essence
may play a part. This is most obvious during karate(or some other
martial art) training, where concentration as required in zazen is a
prime factor. However, we're not in the dojo(Zen, or karate) all the
time, and most of our life deals with normal, everyday issues eg. paying
bills, shopping, work, leisure, etc. How to get better with such
everyday issues is my concern, and what most interests me..not rituals
or mysticism. On a side note, a young Thai boy once advised me to take
my Buddha statue to the monks for blessing so that it(the statue) may
bring me blessings and good fortune...or at least that's how I
understood it from him. A lady from Laos also said something similar.
Personally, I find the whole idea of it to be quite ridiculous

> Zen and the martial arts complement each other..very well. Each side
reinforces the other. Whilst one may strike or move in a circular manner
from the Bagua-zhang or Shaolin styles, the Shotokan school teaches
directness...and to use an old quote..'the shortest distance between 2
points is a straight line'. To be direct and straight to the point..that
is also from Zen. It's like another old quote I heard a long time
ago...'when it's dark, light a candle'..

> Having said the above, how can then something as changing a baby's
nappy be so difficult, or complicated. One is faced with a soiled nappy,
and so one changes it for the child. In karate, one strikes and the
other blocks or avoids, and counter-strikes at the same time. You're low
on finances, and you therefore tighten expenditure. When one is sick,
one goes to the doctor. Pretty much like....'when it's dark, you light a
candle'..

> The book ZEN MIND BEGINNER'S MIND is really a good book to follow by.
I'm not going to quote from it the way they do in bible or Islamic
forums. With such in mind, I wonder these days if my attendance of
Quaker meetings (services which are based on silence) had been nothing
more but an extension of my past Zen practise