--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "ED" <seacrofter...@...> wrote:

> Hello Mel,

Hello ED

> In the martial arts (and in sports), which type of meditation is more
> common
>
> (1)  Awareness meditation (vipassana or shikantaza or something else)

My understanding of 'shikantaza' is just plain zazen. I just sit on a chair,
keep spine straight, eyes half-closed, and breath normally...and let the
'clouds' of thought just pass by. Just breath, nothing else

I don't know the other term

Everything empty. In a bar-room I was in, the drunken fellow moved and I moved
with him. We ended up on the ground and I ended up on top. He was shouting and
abusing..doing a lot of talking. But, I couldn't really hear, or understand.
But, I could hear noise and see movement. Move in harmony with opponent, not
against him the way Sumo bouts begin. Open eyes, open ears. I survived. Pride
wasn't important. Just breath

> (2) Concentration meditation (samatha or somethhing else) ?

For my own personal purposes, I don't concentrate on anything...unless you call
breathing as concentration on breathing itself...which I think complicates
things more than needed to be

For my own purposes, I don't really make use of the old and ancient terms.
Modern English seems far easier for me, but that's just me

in peace
Mel