>From a dianoetic perspective, "God is in the details.", "The devil is in
the details.", so why not "Zen is in the details."? An example might be
the Japanee tea ceremony. Attention to detail might can be used both as
a samatha practice as well as a shikantaza practice.(?)

But, from a non-koanic perspective, only an experienced Zen Master could
discriminate between the various states encountered in Zazen:

(1) makyo or quickenings    (2)  samadhi  or absorption or jhana states
(3) kensho-satori or insight-wisdom  states   (4)  State of Ultimate
Pure Being    (5) Stage of Ongoing Enlightened Traits

The above list is from pages 7 - 10  of James Austin's 'Zen-Brain
Reflections.'

Click here: Zen-Brain Reflections
<http://books.google.com/books?id=uZ4fyfH_t9EC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ze\
n-brain+reflections&hl=en&src=bmrr&ei=1eEMTfnfNoWosQOHyuDOAg&sa=X&oi=boo\
k_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA>  and then go to page 7.

In particular, I think that discriminating between (2) states and (3)
states requires much experience and attention to detail by the teacher.

The comments of all and Bill in particular are requested.

--ED