Hi siska -

Occasionally, I like to clarify a situation for myself and express it as
completely yet simply as I can. The contents of the first post is the
work of everyone in this group over the past few weeks, and especially
Bill; and with the assistance of the ever-handy polymath, Wikipedia and
James Austin's 'Zen-Brain Reflections'.
Shalom aleichem, ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, siska_...@... wrote:

Hi Ed,

I don't know how it is supposed to be in Zen, but the way you outlined
it makes a lot of sense. Would be interested to know what others would
say.

Wa aleikum salaam :-)

Siska

Mel, Bill and All -
Thank you for your responses. I have a need to be very clear on these
issues. Therefore please consider the following, and tell us whether we
are all on the same wavelength:

(1)

One sits in a right posture etc. and starts doing zazen.

(2)

At first, one counts breaths, then one's awareness is placed on the
breath but without counting and so on. These are calm-abiding
concentration practices, called samatha, which enhance sustained
voluntary attention, and culminate in an attention that can be sustained
effortlessly for hours on end.  (See Wikipedia)

(3)

Having calmed and stabilized the mind with samatha, one then switches to
shikantaza i.e. resting in a state of brightly alert attention that is
free of thoughts, directed to no object, and attached to no particular
content.    (See Wikipedia)

(4)

After intense practice of shikantaza over a (long) period of time, one
attains glimses of the experience of no-self, which when authenticated
by an authentic teacher may be referred to as kensho.

(5) ...

A salaam aleikum,

- ED