Mel,

That sounds a lot like what a great bodhisattva is reported to have taught:

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets,
as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by
men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

Matthew 6:3 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know
what your right hand is doing,..."

...Bill!