From: Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明 <chan.j...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Zen] Living in the past moments
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, zenliv...@yahoogroups.com,
chan-socal-engl...@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, December 27, 2010, 5:10 PM

    Hi Mel,

    Almost all of us, including myself, often travels away from the
    present moment.  Sometimes backward and sometimes forward.  It is
    normal, whether our mind is a beginners' mind or an  expert mind.
    "Beginner" or "expert" are just labels.  Mind still behave like a
    mind.

    What we propose is to divert our "attention" away from our thoughts,
    to follow our breath, and not "counting the breath".(counting is
    thinking)  Then next step is to "focus" on one of our ten major
    chakras, etc. etc.  We have a practice, enabling us to continuously
    divert our mind away from our thoughts for at least year and half,
    and simultaneously staying longer in the present moment.

    Often even when we are truly committed to "focus" or "attend" to
    this technique of practice, we still stray away, especially at the
    beginning.  That's okay.  Just bring our attention back to whatever
    we were focusing on.

    "Attention" or "focus" to our chakra and energy channel serves two
    purposes.

      First it enhances our energy, meaning improving our health.
      Second, it enhances our "awareness".

    "Attention" or "focus" are both functions of our "awareness".  This
    kind of awareness taught in our lineage utilizes our physiological
    "sense and feel" to our energy points and energy channels is more
    than just a mental focus.  It is a total and whole body focus.  This
    is where it differs from majority of other school.

    It is not only effective in improving our health, it also can
    quickly enhance our "total awareness".  "Total awareness" is also
    call Shen 『神』 or Inner God in Chinese medicine.  Please visit our
    other web site.  (http://www.chanliving.org).  Religious people call
    that Inner being, or Spiritual being, or God within.

    So that we could maintain our selves in the state of Sambodhi for
    longer periods and be less affected by our mind.

    BTW, science has also shown to us recently, that there is more
    messages sent to our brain from our body, then the other way
    around.  Therefore Total Awareness is the way to enlightenment and
    not mental awareness.

    Let me know if you have more questions.

    JM

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com