Bill
You're right as usual. Dogen didn't mention anything aboout commandments,
salvation or jihad.

To sit is the practice arisen from advice, not commanded but like a
commandment, thou shalt sit to practice Buddha.

Salvation is within the experience of true self. He may not have said sit for
salvation, but the "true form of self" does save us from the self we normally
identify as.

Jihad is the war that goes within the minds of those who struggle to sit.

Joe