Hi Jerry,

Thank you for asking.

Counting our breath is what some school teaches. We teach following our breath instead, because the activity of "counting" requires mental process, which is what needs to be dropped as required by Chan Meditation.

Follow the path of our breath in a slow and continuous fashion. "Feel" the chi going through our nose, to our throat, into our lung, into our belly. Hold there for 2-3 seconds before we exhale.

The key is SSDL. (Slow, Soft, Deep and Long). The objective is to be able to breathe about 4 times in one minute maximum.

No counting.  Just "feel" and "sense".  Not visualizing, not imagining.

It is clearer now?

Let me know if you have more questions.
JM

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com