Hi JM,

Thank you so much for elaborating on and clarifying the Chan Way. At
this point in time I am interested in traditional Zen/zen Ways, but will
remain attentive and receptive to your presentations of the Chan Way.

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming  wrote:

Hi Ed,

Well, since my name has mentioned in your post.  I thank you for
granting me this opportunity.

1.  I don't know what Shikantaza is.  Sorry.
2.  I don't know what Samatha is.  Sorry again.
3.  I know how to sit the Chan way as I described below.
4.  I don't compare either, as you may notice, because comparing
definition or words is not something Chan recommends.
5.  Nor do I discuss, because nothing I have posted has any value.
6.  Everything I have posted everyone already "know".
7.  There is only one thing I recommend -- meditate the Chan Way.
8.  When you begins to witness something different, then ask me.  Not
quotes from others, only your personal experience.

I hope you don't find my answers harsh.  Because my job really is just
to share what I have experienced.  No more and no less.  Every word is
my personal witness. Yet word has no value.  They are just descriptions
of some real phenomenon and not the phenomenon itself.

I respect your persistent search for the truth. But truth is not out
there.  Truth is always within you.  And truth exists in every moment
and in every being, big or small.

All you have to do is to stop search outward and begin searching inward.
Once you found it, you will said to yourself, "Amazing.  It is really
really simple."

Yes, Absolute Dharma is like the period at the end of this sentence.

:-)

BTW, FYI.  Chan meditation is really routed in Tao.  If you read
XinXinMing.  You will discovered it is quite Tao. I hope this helps.

Hi JM, Bill and All -
What is described below by JM is  'concentration meditation' or
'samatha', which in zazen is preliminary to the main practice of
shikantaza. This preliminary samatha can be brief  for a practitioner
who can stabilize her mind quickly.

"Samatha comprises a suite, type or style of Buddhist meditation or
concentration practices designed to enhance sustained voluntary
attention, and culminates in an attention that can be sustained
effortlessly for hours on end." (Wiki)

"According to Dogen Zenji, shikantaza i.e. resting in a state of
brightly alert attention that is free of thoughts, directed to no
object, and attached to no particular content is the highest or purest
form of zazen, zazen as it was practiced by all the buddhas of the
past." (Wiki)

In later posts, we shall compare different techniques for the  samatha
meditation portion of zazen.

JM, is Chan meditation comprised of  the samatha  practice described
below, without any subsequent shikantaza?

--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
</group/Zen_Forum/post?postID=9Qr92BCr_LZRcEt7JSlbbmE3Qo5Hq2GIFenynhMHqN\
GrNoXORl-sdm9NYlqBGJPZGLJENtNESzzSmJBj32jN4qzFBw> , Jue Miao Jing Ming
wrote:

> Follow the path of our breath in a slow and continuous fashion.

> "Feel" the chi going through our nose, to our throat, into our lung,
into our
> belly.

> The key is SSDL. (Slow, Soft, Deep and Long).

> The objective is to be  able to breathe about 4 times in one minute
maximum.