Well, Ed. Since you remain "attentive and receptive" to Chan way. May I elaborate a little more?

In my personal opinion, Zen, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Bahai, Krishna are all offsprings of Chan. (Similar to what Bill stated about Zen)

Yet, Chan, Zen, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Bahai, Krishna are one of the same, the only difference is the words each uses and the journey each sage traveled through.

Bible describes the "way" of Jesus. Sutra describes the "journey" of Buddha. Zen Forum is the "opinion" of Zen. My blog describes my "diary" in Chan

Chan is One and ALL. Like a picture, if you watch too closely, you will see each stroke, but missing the main theme. Unless if you are writing a book or a report, then you will need all the academic references.

Off the bat, Chan and Zen both emphasizes "Without words, teach outside of teaching..."

I hope it helps.

:-)

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org