Greetings forum

A former acquaintance of mine those many years ago remarked that I had a
'step-by-step' sort of attitude. Nothing special, but probably something I may
have learned from the Deshimaru writings

I had to help my friend leave her apartment. In fact, I think I would have used
the term 'evacuate'. She was getting some trouble there. She was still in
distress by the time I got there and got her personal belongings into the car.
I held her for a moment and said...

..'Let's get your things in the car. Step by step, buddy'....

Being a Protestant, she also remarked that my belief and trust in Zen must make
me strong. That amused me for a moment, but all I could think of mostly was
getting the 2 of us the hell out of there

Those outside of zazen may describe us as being narrow-minded, or perhaps even
tunnel-visioned. A bit dualistic. So be it. I had a task ahead of me. My
movement was free and unhindered, and I was safe from physical attack from all
directions

Just like zazen. Alone in the room, there's only me and the wall(there's also
the Buddha statue nearby but that's beside the point). I'm free. With
half-closed eyes, the way or path in front is free and clear with no
obstruction whatsoever. Breath, and full attention. The way is indeed clear,
because there's nothing there. The back of the car had plenty of space...and I
was certainly free

We packed away and drove off. Arriving at the new destination, we unloaded, got
our breaths back, hugged and said goodbye....and then time for other
matters(Hmmm..I might go see a movie..)

in peace
Mel