From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Jue Miao Jing Ming - ????
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 3:12 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Chan -northern and southern schools, mental/spiritual chan,
pure body/pure mind

Hello Tao Mountain Sage One,

I assume this is how I should address you,  If not, please excuse me.

There are many different historical versions of the Northern School vs the
Southern School.  Since I don't know for sure which version is the most
accurate, my view would not be of any value in reference to which school really
teaches what.

However on the PRACTICE of Sudden verses Gradual, my teacher has explained the
following...

We practice to "gradually" purify our body and mind.  Purify our body, by rid
of dirty chi and replenish it with fresh chi.  Purify our mind by rid of all
thoughts and let our heart enhances its awareness physically and spiritually,
or in other words "totally".

When our body and mind are purified to a certain degree, "suddenly" we enter
into a meditative state witnessing the Ultimate Truth, or some call it, Final
Form or True Form.

In other words, the purification process is gradual and the awakening is sudden.

Since you sounded like a Taoist, is it true in the Taoiest language, that we
Conserve our Jing, Develop our Chi, so to Enhance our Shen.  When Shen reaches
a certain level, we shall enter Tian (Heaven).

I hope that I have answered clearly to your questions.  Do let me know if
otherwise.

Thank you for asking.
JMJM

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com