Anthony,

All these East Asian characters look alike.

> ED,
>
> I can see from the terms that the 'five varieties' of zen are
classified by some Japanese. In Chinese, chan is the same word as zen.
However:

> Daijo is the Japanese word for mahayana. All kinds of zen fall into
this category. I don't think Sakyamuni Buddha taught this mode of zen,
as mahayana appeared 500 years after his death, unless you believe he
taught it to deities in heaven.

> Shikan=just, only.
> Taza=sitting.
> Shikantaza denotes only the idea of 'just sitting'. If you say it is
the highest form of zazen, you must have attached additional concept to
the original meaning.

> I don't want to get into heated argument again on the meaning of
shikantaza. If you believe it is the way you say it, it is up to you.
But don't ever show the original Japanese (=Chinese) characters.