--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Dave P" <wookielifeday@...> wrote:

> I understand where you're coming from, but for me the problem is
> contamination. Since everyone has a desire to be healthy, I don't know what's
> a healthy way of avoiding contamination and what's an unhealthy way.
>
> How do you deal with the uncertainty?

  Hi Dave. All OCD is connected to fearful uncertainty. In your case it is fear
of contamination. In my case it is a fear that, through inattention, I left the
stove on, the coffee-pot on, the door unlocked, or any number of other things
unchecked. Neurologists believe that it is a malfunction of an area of the
brain called the amygdala. The thing is, most people with OCD realize how
unreasonable their fears are, yet they are still tormented by them. I'm pretty
sure you understand that your immune system is quite capable of dealing with
common germs. You need to recognize that your fear is purely the malfunctioning
of an area of your brain connected to survival concerns. In terms of
mindfulness, it is an excellent opportunity to explore the delusion of ego. Is
not the ego just a mass of fears? The way I deal with the uncertainty is by
co-existing with it. Key to this was developing the ability in both zazen and
everday life to just be aware of fears, anxieties and impulses as they arose,
without identifying with them and without trying to make them go away. Is not
the ego-delusion all about being pushed and pulled? Here is my practical advice
to you. It will be very, very difficult. If your OCD fear revolves around
contamination, then I suggest that you deliberately touch your toilet seat and
then go sit down to meditate, making the anxiety the object of your meditation.
Don't wash your hands for the entire duration of the meditation session. Don't
try to make the anxiety go away. Just look at it. I suggest that you set a
timer for at least half an hour. During that period, just follow your breathing
and be aware of the anxiety. When the session is over, make a point to tell
yourself, "This anxiety is unreasonable. It is purely the result of a
malfunctioning in my brain." Then go wash your hands briefly and find something
else to do. Practice this as a routine every day. What you are doing is
deconditioning your amygdala via neuroplasticity. Each day the anxiety will
lessen until it will scarcely trouble you at all, imo.
At least give it a try.
Steve