Sorry, missing an important word. it should read, "if we are tired, we can *NOT* think clearly and we can not focus."
Hi Kristy,

Well, it is not just westerners. For the last ten years, our statistics shows about 80 percent of the people quit after 2 sessions, Asian or American. The reasons being meditation is like detoxing our habits... a cold turkey feeling. The first few months are tough, especially our stringent requirement in sitting. :-)

I am not sure of your definition for awareness. Let me use mine.. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Treasures_(traditional_Chinese_medicine) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Treasures_%28traditional_Chinese_medicine%29> Awareness is "Shen" or like our inner god, spirit, focus, clarity.... "Shen" is supported by "Chi" or energy or liveliness. In other words, if we are tired, we can *NOT* think clearly and we can not focus.

In our practice, "awareness" is cultivated gradually as the "chi" is enhanced. In my experience, "awareness" gradually broadens its sensitivity as well as its region. Meaning it starts on breathing, then on chakra, then on energy channel, then on mind, then on spirit. When it is able to be aware of our spirit, then it become a holistic, whole body and mind kind of awareness, an integrated complete oneness internally and externally. We call that state of being synchronization to the universal energy and wisdom. That's how Buddha "transmits" from heart to heart.

Historically western medicine is compartmentalized, the Chinese medicine is integrated. Same applies to the term of awareness, it includes our body, mind and spirit as one.

If you are still around the Bay area, we have a meditation center in Milpitas located at 1782 Clear Lake Ave #248, Milpitas, CA There is an English session at 2pm every Saturday with about 6-7 non-Asian. Feel free to contact Mr. Yenkang Liu 14082069325.

Thank you for the opportunity to share.
JM
http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org