From: eugnostos2000 <eugnostos2...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Zen] Can A Buddha Harm Others?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 10:26 PM

Hello. I have been following the recent discussions concerning zen, Zen
and ethics with interest. IMO, it is a bit of a Red Herring to stay
fixated on sexual ethics which even non-Zennists will often regard as
a subjective muddle. So let me ask this. Can a Buddha deliberately
harm others? Now doubtless there are some here that will say that zen
has nothing to do with Buddha, etc. etc., but it is a fact that Zen
arose within Buddhism as a way to become aware of our own Buddha-Dhatu
in a direct way, unencumbered by intellectualism. And of course Zennists
will assert that this "direct pointing to the heart of humanity" goes
directly back to Gotama himself. So the question remains. Can a fully
realized Buddha deliberately choose to cause harm? The BuddhaDharma has
always been concerned, not just with Great Wisdom, but also with Great
Compassion. Is this Great Compassion merely another conceptual delusion
or is it a fundamental feature of Enlightenment itself?
Steve