ED,

The analogy of clear sky with occasional and transitory clouds is a good one.
The traditional zen teaching about how to deal with these 'clouds' while
sitting is to acknowledge them but not dwell on them.  The analogy or
story-teaching is:  'when you are occupied doing something important at home
and a friend knocks on your door, you answer the door, acknowledge your friend,
listen to what he has to say but do not invite him in for tea'.

...Bill!