mike..yes indeed.. all drugs can be administered by the doctor... legalise the 
lot...and the crime rate drops...merle


Merle,

Yes, but government prohibitions against drug use has never worked and, in 
fact, usually exacerbates such problems. That's why education and personal 
responsibility are better strategies than punitive sanctions (for personal 
users, at least).

On a more relevant note (for this forum), it's not the substances themselves 
that are the problem, but the cravings that drive us to use them. We can't 
destroy most of them and there would be no point in doing so as other 
substances would soon replace them anyway. We need to look within to understand 
why we have addictions and suffer. And what better way to do that than begin to 
sit in meditation and experience the process of 
consciousness-perception-sensation-reaction (craving/aversion). This will not 
be seen
 into merely by intellectualisation, but must be experienced at the most subtle 
of levels. 

Mike 


Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone 



________________________________
 From:  Merle Lester <[email protected]>; 
To:  [email protected] <[email protected]>; 
Subject:  Re: addictions 
Sent:  Wed, Feb 27, 2013 7:08:00 AM 
 



 mike ....many people are their own worst enemy..no self discipline  or self 
control..and hence they cause harm to themselves!..merle

Merle,

Well, not nicotine anyway..  ; )

But you're correct. People should have the freedom to put into their body what 
they like as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone else.

People need to come to the realisation of what is harmful to them by
 themselves thru education and experience - not thru coercion.
 Recovery is more valid that way.

Mike

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone 



________________________________
 From:  Merle Lester <[email protected]>; 
To:  [email protected] <[email protected]>; 
Subject:  Re: addictions 
Sent:  Tue, Feb 26, 2013 11:34:25 AM 
 



 mike: are you that someone?... if you like smoking go for it...it's between 
you and your lungs!..merle

Merle,

You mentioned that someone didn't have the will-power to quit smoking. How do 
you know he, or anyone else for that matter, wanted to quit?

Mike

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone 



________________________________
 From:  Merle Lester <[email protected]>; 
To:  [email protected] <[email protected]>; 
Subject:  addictions 
Sent:  Tue, Feb 26, 2013 5:39:22 AM 
 



 
 mike your point being?...merle


Merle, 

Not all people who smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or eat chocolate want to 
quit! 

Mike


Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone 



________________________________
 From:  Merle Lester <[email protected]>; 
To:  [email protected] <[email protected]>; 
Subject:  Re: [Zen] Re: Dogen, Mystical Realist 
Sent:  Mon, Feb 25, 2013 10:24:10 PM 
 

  


 hey joe..he smoked them..the cigarettes because he was addicted to nicotine 
and did not have the will power to give them up!... merle
  
Salik,

Salik very kindly wrote:
"A real madman of devotion, love and gratitude."

I love it!  Sounds like a fine fellow.

I think I might know this (that!) Salik!, Salik!  I think he was/is? a close 
associate of Shahabuddhin Lesh.  A tallish skinny fellow, eyes a little sunken, 
yellowish short hair (in 1973-74-75) and who smoked cigarettes, even inside the 
Cathedral!, where it was Verboten, on our Sufi Dancing nights.  He said he 
smoked them "in order to keep from becoming too pure".  Maybe it's the same 
principle as practiced in the construction of Islamic Mosque tile-mosaics, in 
which an obvious "mistake" is always committed intentionally so as not to 
offend Allah, and left in full view.

It was Salik who often did the Call to Prayer once we were all assembled there 
on Wednesday evenings after we had moved HUNDREDS of wood chairs out of the 
100-foot space under the dome arching over the cathedral's "Crossing", where 
the Transcept intersects the Nave-Apse axis of the building.  That Crossing is 
the largest of ANY Cathedral's in the world: 100 x 100 ft.  A record.  And 
Saint John's is also the largest Cathedral in the world (Saint Peter's in Rome 
is a larger building, but it is *not* a Cathedral: it is a "Basilica").

Salik would put his open hands behind the ears and solemnly project the Call up 
into the rafters, bringing in some *really* sharp and arresting tones: Wow!  It 
was always a privilege to hear him and see him do this, belting out the sounds 
up into the stone "rafters" there inside the Christian cathedral.  You know the 
acoustics in that place: just amazing!  Very lively.  And Salik never let the 
echo come back and step-on a new syllable: he had the timing DOWN.  Definitely 
a musician.  He played the drum during our dancing, and was a natural at it.  
An amazing guy.

I'm so glad you're at ZCLA.  I know you'll have great practice there.  I wish 
you very, very strong practice.  Many great Sesshin, and powerful ones.  May 
they open up for everybody there the full flower of our original face.

Many blessings, and as my Ch'an Shih-fu used to say, "Don't be in a hurry!"  
And, "just fall right in line with how they practice, there".

--Joe

PS I'm sorry to sound so ignorant of Gurdjief's ways, earlier, but I am!  But I 
really don't need to express uninformed opinions as I did.  Toward the One!  
That's for sure, --J.

> "salik888"  wrote:
>
> Dear Joe
> 
> I spent some time with a friend and fellow Shaykh in the Halvati Jerrahi 
> Tariqa, Shaykh Salik Schwartz. A real madman of devotion, love and gratitude. 
> He knew Lex Hixon well, was with Shaykh Muzzafer Effendi for years.
> 
> I just missed meeting Sensei Bernie by a couple of weeks at the Zen Center of 
> Los Angeles, of which I have just joined. I have been at the Gurdjieff 
> Foundation studying for about 5 years. Sensei Bernie was here and apparently 
> there was quite a bit of talk  about the new book, The Dude and the Zen 
> Master. 
> 
> I am back to sit with a Sangah, although I have been sitting and working with 
> the Gurdjieff Foundation, studying the ideas and text of Gurdjieff's All and 
> Everything. 
> 
> But, always "sitting." Even during my sitting with Gurdjieff Foundation I sit 
> zazen. (sitting is different in Gurdjieff Tradition, more Taoist)
>



 

 

 

  
 

Reply via email to