Hong,

Good question. Yes, of course the world that we think we live in is entirely in
our heads. It's a mental model of the external reality we think we live in.
That's why it can be considered illusion. Because it is not as it appears to be.

However it must share sufficient logical structure with the external world of
forms for us to be able to live and function in that external world of forms.
In fact when one subtracts everything mind adds to its mentl model of the world
there is nothing left in the external reality except a pure self computing
empty information structure. Mind adds everything else.

The external information world of forms arises in the one substance of Buddha
Nature = Tao = ontological energy (my terminology) like waves arise in water.
The waves are pure information forms in the substance of water. They have no
other substance than water. Likewise the world of forms are pure information
forms in the substance of Buddha Nature. They have no other substance of their
own. All their apparent qualities and self substances are added by mind in its
model of them that constitutes the world we think we live in.

Zen is first understanding this so that one may directly realize the emptiness
of things, and the direct presence of the Buddha Nature that is the substance
of all forms in all forms.

Edgar