Language is tongue-tied and can never be free—bogged down in meaning
it quickens thought.

A teacher of English wrote the following sentence on a blackboard for
his Japanese students: "A dog has four legs." The entire class was
horrified. In order to make sense of that sentence they had to imagine a
dog holding four dismembered legs in its mouth. To their minds a dog is
a four legged creature by definition not possession. The English
language gives the subtle illusion that a body possesses its parts.

*
Some researchers created an "intelligence" test using pictures/icons to
overcome the language difference of inner city children with the "norm."
The majority of inner city children identified the icon of a teddy bear
as a rat.
*

A military cargo plane was on its take off roll down the runway when the
wheels collapsed. The plane hit the pavement, slid off the runway,
exploded, killing the entire crew.
An investigation revealed that:
The copilot had just received a letter from his girlfriend breaking off
their relationship and was despondent.
The last thing the pilot said over the intercom was "Cheer up."
The investigation concluded that the copilot thought he heard "Gear up"
and raised the landing gear.

*

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. ~
Robert McCloskey, U.S. State Department spokesman

*

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate,
because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can
understand.  ~ Bertrand Russell

*

Again I say there is the almost universal misuse of the concept of
sentient beings in Mahayana Buddhism. Misinterpreting
releasing/delivering sentient beings as saving/benefiting sentient
beings deludes and distracts the mind with the idea of saving souls
and/or other living beings. Sentient beings are the mental components
(beliefs, attitudes, opinions, preferences, moods, etc.) that make up
the ego or artificial sense of self and generate suffering in the mind.

The marks on this page are sounds and not meanings—meanings are made
up in the mind. Egos are made of past meanings that interfere with
Original Mind.

pudgala2