By design - take a look at the guide: http://zguide.zeromq.org

> 2) I want to start server and *then* start client and send requests.
> However, if I do this nothing happens. But if I start client first and send
> a request and then start server, it receives a packet.

You're using REQ to REQ, which is not a useful combination. Again, refer to
the guide: http://zguide.zeromq.org (or the man pages)

> 3) The way I’m trying to extract message, I get first character of message
> correct. Rest is all garbage. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm actually surprised you can recv at all as the first call on a REQ -
that should generate an EFSM, so I'll take a look at that as a potential
bug.

Ian