Benchmark it with some real work.

Marshalling to native is expensive when doing micro benches with no work
but not compared to going over the wire or messages that do real work ,
Serialization cost will normally be higher than marshalling to native . If
your doing inter process via shared memory / pipes on the same machine and
dont do anything with the message it may well be more expensive.  On the
other hand  for large scale solutions where your messages  stay in a queue
for a while you can leave the message in native and not fill the GC and
suffer GC pauses.

Note the JVM also incurs marshaling when communicating to the kernel  say
for tcp/ip which zeroMq does not .

Ben