unordered UDP would be great for many usecases. I have no need for the
guarantees offered by TCP.

The only thing that's worth thinking about is congestion failure and ZMQ would
need some mechanism to avoid this (which is part of TCP).

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:21 AM, Arnaud Loonstra <arn...@sphaero.org>
wrote:
On 12/31/2013 10:05 AM, Martin Sustrik wrote:

> On 31/12/13 09:59, Wojtek Sliwinski wrote:
>
>> For many industrial & control systems, UDP is the solution when we
>> talk about: - high frequency (>50Hz) messaging - scalability:
>> minimal load & use of resources on publisher's side - some messages
>> may be lost but usually the last one only counts
>
> There's an implication of message ordering in the last point, which is
> not guaranteed in UDP. You are probably looking for something like DCCP.
>
> Martin

Don't you mean SCTP? DCCP also does not do ordered delivery to my
knowledge. Both SCTP and DCCP would be welcomed transports I guess,
however they are only available on BSD & Linux. UDP on the other hand is
available everywhere.

Rg,

Arnaud
--