On 01/08/2014 03:46 PM, Bruno D. Rodrigues wrote:
> I don’t know too many details about FON, but we have an ISP in Portugal
> that provides FON over all their clients (if they accept) and as soon as
> I connect to one FON hotstpot, the device automatically connects to any
> other. No idea if it’s just because it’s the same name, or if there is
> any other value that is forced to be the same, but somehow it is possible.
>
> On Jan 8, 2014, at 12:03, crocket <crockabisc...@gmail.com
> <mailto:crockabisc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> People may be able to devise an algorithm for automatically turning on
>> hotspots in several smartphones among many.
>>
>> But, even with hotspots turned on, how do phones connect to each other
>> if smartphones simply refuse to connect to randomly named hotspots?
>>
>> Should we forcefully rename hotspots to a predetermined name(e.g.,
>> "edgenet") and agree to connect to hotspots named "edgenet"?

You could follow a roaming setup. Setup an hotspot with any name and
make sure it is setup for roaming. Usually the authentication is done
using radius. Which would be very easy to implement as radius is very
simple protocol. Even just MAC authentication would suffice but you
could go on into EAP/TTLS or PEAP setups.

To setup an hotspot on a phone you'll probably need root access.

WifiDirect would be better but I don't any devices that support it. It
will probably be stopped by vendors ;) Just like PTT.

Rg,

Arnaud

--
w: http://www.sphaero.org